Mabel’s Pork Belly | Serves 12-15
When it comes to cooking and eating, there are few things in this world that I love more than pork belly. This affordable cut of meat is so versatile. Most of us know that pork belly becomes bacon when it’s cured and smoked. But when you simply season and smoke it, like we do at Mabel’s, you end up with something completely different in texture. Our popular pork belly is smoky, meaty, and deliciously rich. Some might even say it’s unctuous. How’s that for a $10 word!
- 1 (10- to 12-pound) Skin-off pork belly
- 1 cup Cleveland BBQ Sauce*
- 1 cup Pork Rub**
- Prepare and preheat your smoker to 225°F.
- Cut the pork belly crosswise into two equal pieces so it’s easier to handle.
- Coat all sides of the pork with the barbecue sauce and then season it all over with the pork rub.
- When the temperature in the smoker reaches 225°F and the smoke is running clear, add the pork belly fat-side up and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 185°F, about 5 hours. For the best results, use a probe thermometer to continually monitor the meat’s temperature.
- Slice to the desired thickness and serve immediately.